1. Debt Repayment. Talking about money and finances isn’t sexy. But it’s necessary. I want to have at least half of it paid off this year. This will require a spreadsheet to track how far off I am. I think that’s realistic. Anyone want to help me with this?
2. Attend Book Passage. It’s a $600 conference ticket out of pocket. Plus a flight to San Francisco. Plus Accommodation. So we’re looking at about $1300. Right now, I have $300 from Christmas that I haven’t spent. I’m putting my writing money aside into the bank. If I want to be a travel writer and write for big magazines (life goal), I have to be where the players are. And no it’s not cheap. But nothing worth having ever comes easy. I don’t know what to expect but I do know that I’ll learn so that’s all I can ask for.
3. Mini 30 Day challenges. In trying to achieve goals #1 and 2, I can do things to save extra money and this can be put into mini challenges for 30 days. Like bring your lunch to work (that would be extremely difficult for me but a good challenge) or the 30 day yoga challenge to kick start my health. I find that if I make a vague goals such as “get healthier” or even goals like “work out three days a week for a year” it’s over-reaching so trying something for 30 days is less of a commitment.
4. Get the blog in order. Yes, the blog interface sucks. I haven’t transferred to a dot com. Get photos transferred to Flickr. Get some widgets transferred over. And the design could use some tweaking. So I’m hiring a designer to transfer it all over to wordpress.org. Know anyone? I’ve been quoted $500. So far, so good. But just more $ out of pocket (It’s an investment!).
5. Go to another continent. I’ve been to North America and Europe. It’s time to go somewhere else. Somewhere exotic. Argentina and Thailand are on that list. And Japan. I feel an exciting trip or two coming up. Not sure what will be in store but I’m ready to tackle it with aplomb. This will be dependent on Goal # 1.
6. Write more handwritten notes. Who doesn’t like a handwritten note? Maybe murderers but even then aren’t they writing things in blood? This was the goal for 2011 and it didn’t work out so well. I did, however, write 30 postcards for friends to mail out and it felt great. So I want to make people smile. This is one way to do it. Be grateful. Stay hungry. Stay foolish. And all that jazz.
7. Get published in print with a travel related piece. This goal has been sitting on the shelf for quite some time. Time to do something about it. Hopefully, learning from and achieving #2 will assist with this goal. That said, it’s all up to me.
I’ll add to the goals if I get one or more completed. And I’ll try to update along the way to make myself accountable.
What are your resolutions or goals for 2012?